Author Topic: There are changes afoot  (Read 1434 times)

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
    • View Profile
There are changes afoot
« on: February 15, 2018, 07:23:43 PM »
Hi folks.

I've been giving the server a lot of thought.

We’ve been using the same map since January 2013, Minecraft version 1.4.  A lot of changes have come to Minecraft in terms of terrain, blocks/items, mob and redstone mechanics, many aspects of the game really.

Our active player count is very low.  One aspect of our server I've always seen as a plus (having a stable map that doesn't reset) I still see as a plus, but a map this old I believe is a deterrent to new players and has become a bore to current players.

I've also been very strict on vanilla play, mostly due to instability and work involved with juggling plugins, and also frankly my personal preference to play style. Changes coming to the game are changing what "vanilla" really means since more and more of the game is becoming customizable within the vanilla framework. It appears to me players expect more of such things, and being strictly vanilla isn't as in vogue as it used to be.

[apple]
After Spigot 1.13 is released here's what's happening to gnarcraft
  • New map.
  • I'll be heavily recruiting new members
  • Loosening my convictions on vanilla, what specifically will be new I'm not sure yet, we can discuss what people want, but things such as blocks enderman grab, sleep requirements to pass night, maybe even as drastic as some type of player claiming/controlling territory/chests. Note - I still will be resistant to new plugins.  :)

Things that won’t change
  • 18+ age rule.
  • Our basic server rules.
  • How often map resets, pretty much never unless there's a really good reason.
  • World border (but much smaller)
  • Being a "vanilla-type" legitimate survival server; in other words there won't be factions, economy, clans, multi-maps, creative grants or such things.
[apple]

I'm open to feedback, suggestions and very much appreciate your opinions.

---edited to add...
Please don't spend time researching seeds to suggest. Just a reminder, I don't make the seed public due to the possibility of using it for cheating.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 03:29:36 PM by cjucoder »

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • View Profile
    • @warsharkz
Re: There are changes afoot
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 09:46:46 AM »
maybe we can start the map out small like 5k 5k and you can find a seed with every biome in 5k 5k map size that's one my suggestions if anything a 10k by 10k would be good but new people will explore everything out of the gate. I vote for vanilla world border it's better lol.

map reset good for 1.13 cause of the sea wreaks with tridents i was thinking there probably only be a few of those going around we could dupe them with a glitch or put in a crafting recipe(data packs). There thing in vanilla where you can add custom crafting recipes it could be expensive like diamonds and stuff that should be ok.

The other thing is shulker boxes we could add a spawner somewhere in the end and build a farm but exploring is the most fun about that so maybe a rule not to build in the end and we can reset the end when the map gets to big for it.

The last thing is elytra but that's same as shulker boxes but we could have that drop from the dragon kill and we could put hoppers at spawn to catch any elytra going trough the end portal. This also can be done with command blocks(data packs probably too?) or plugin.

last majority sleeping in a bed to pass night or one bed sleeping that's a plugin or command block. I vote for 50% or more might be bad for my charge creeper farm in 1.13 but is much simpler since the update coming.
this is plugin or command blocks.

enderman not griefing there is a way to do that in vanilla by doing something in snapshot 18w02a xisuma video data packs.

That's mostly i think it's a good idea just need to decide how far we not making it vanilla sometimes convince or keeping the map size down is more important then keeping it strictly vanilla for me i'm probably going to start up in a water base or sky base and build up and around it. Oh yeah cj can you invite people by there emails of the people you have emails off i guess that's one start to getting back some old people then we can invite new people too.

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 10:43:13 AM »
Thanks for the input, Neo!

I've been keeping in the loop regarding 1.13, and frankly seeing how we can customize enderman blocks was the final deciding factor for me in loosening my definition of "vanilla", not to mention data packs.

I never even wanted to use command blocks before, but I've changed my mind. Anything I can do in the regular game as opposed to a plugin I likely will do (like fire spread off used to be a plugin I used), so yeah, I'll use the ingame world border. The only reason I still use the plugin with the current map is the shape of our current border.

I don't think I want to go as far as making a spawner for shulker boxes and/or elytra, just seems a bit too cheaty, but I'm certainly open to setting up new crafting recipes. The trick is to balance eliminating some of the annoyances of the game vs. eliminating too much of the challenge of the game. Totally a judgement call.

And yeah, I had planned on emailing all members I can once we have more information on when it's all happening.

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • View Profile
    • @warsharkz
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 10:49:41 AM »
cooly cool i also post a idea about village maybe a colorful village once since we got concrete now and we can make pretty houses with the strip bark logs.

maybe we can make the crafting recipe for them expensive i dunno lets come up with ideas what's fair for people that don't want to load a bunch of new chunks we could even have a border in end for that i just think tridents will be really rare and i don't like the idea of people duping things to get them in quantity what keeps people from duping diamonds and becoming rich that's just my opinion though.

edit. here some custom recipes i think would work for some stuff
https://imgur.com/a/fgopu
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:06:00 AM by Neowarshark »

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • View Profile
    • @warsharkz
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 11:37:32 AM »
for shulker boxes maybe one diamond top then one diamond on bottom then a chest in middle i dunno just trowing out ideas. :)

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • View Profile
    • @warsharkz
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 12:39:20 PM »
I think your mostly going for quality of life changes to the game mechanics things like 1 bed or 50% or more sleeping and ender man not picking up blocks.
The recipes are just a idea i'm trowing around in case things get hard to find the items we really want. That's just my two thoughts about it i'm excited for map reset. :)

Offline steve

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 02:14:02 PM »
Never bored but time poor these days
 i have lots going on
but it can go in to a new map
i will have fun with it what ever
I am just Thankful of some where good to play
thanks for every ones work that makes it what it is

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 03:15:41 PM »
Neo, I don't think I like the idea of a crafting recipe for super rare and limited items, even if it's a very expensive recipe, but I'll consider other opinions. If the map gets to a point those items aren't able to be found anymore then we can consider our options.

steve, glad you still like it here! whenever you can play is fine :) There are some servers that require a certain number of hours per week, but I'll never do such a thing. Your games are something I'll really miss, we had lots of fun times there.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 03:31:57 PM »
I edited the main post to add a reminder not to spend time researching seeds to suggest, since I don't make the seed public.

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • View Profile
    • @warsharkz
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 03:34:54 PM »
I was just thinking nothing serious about it being possible but if we ever do have problems maybe better to farm them from a mob i was just thinking i could get a lot shulker boxes if all i had to do is spend 2 diamonds per box. lol

I just don't like the idea of something being rare by the means of map generation maybe from a mob drop at a certain chance would be cool too but doing bed thing and enderman don't pick up blocks is probably a good idea at least though.

edit. well maybe find one with 4 witch huts close together joking aside yeah i won't look for any to suggest since i would know the seed too and we never know what i would do. *joking*
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 03:36:47 PM by Neowarshark »

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • View Profile
    • @warsharkz
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 03:39:49 PM »
I guess we can suggest what we want in the seed and you could always use mine atlas to check a seed at time till we get a good one?

Offline vipeyy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 05:25:03 PM »
yeah i think its time for a map refresh too
it will be sad to see so many nice things go but we will go on and make new friends and build stuff together

Offline steve

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 06:27:01 PM »
I will rebuild a game area lot of work but the enjoyment of the first build just with the things i have found out on the first time round.
Is there a way to have the old map to keep as a single player /test map ?
will the file be to massive to keep local on you computer?
Be handy to use to reference some things to rebuild
may be a silly thought its late :) and i just spent 14 hours on Ad words
 and Facebook advertising, developing a new ad camping ready for a coffee and bed. LOL
 [boat] [steve]       

Offline empie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 08:36:15 AM »
I would also love a map download!

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • View Profile
    • @warsharkz
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 12:10:12 PM »
i think 1 bed sleeping will be good since in update phantoms will spawn and to keep them from spawning you need a solid block over your head i.e. in a building or you have to sleep a lot. I might want a map download too but what keeps people playing that map over the new one? would be a it be a full map download with the nether intact or just a overworld map?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:01:11 PM by Neowarshark »