Author Topic: Bukkit Legal Drama  (Read 3646 times)

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
Bukkit Legal Drama
« on: October 27, 2014, 02:45:45 PM »
If you are not interested in legal drama GET OUT NOW HIT YOUR BACK BUTTON.

I'm not going to take the time to lookup all the dates, I'll try and keep it brief and just highlight the main points.  I'll use a few teckie terms and acronyms and you can google them if you care.

• The Bukkit team has been operating in a gray area since day one by reverse engineering and *cough borrowing cough* Minecraft server software. Technically it has always breached Mojang's Terms of Service because Minecraft server is proprietary and Bukkit/CraftBukkit is opensource (GPL/LGPL falling under GNU v3).  Bukkit developers have always known this, Mojang has always known this.
    https://github.com/Bukkit/Bukkit/blob/master/LICENCE.txt
  • in 2012 Mojang hired a few Bukkit developers (most familiarly Dinnerbone) and also aquired rights to Bukkit.  Mojang knew about the licencing problems, obviously, but does nothing about it.
    http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/bukkit-the-next-chapter.62489/  (this link doesn't address licensing)
  • Recently a very prominent contributer to Bukkit (Wesley Wolfe aka Wolvereness) decides to make a hissy fit. He pulls the “You are using my code contrary to the license” card.
  • Bukkit, along with its sister projects like Spigot, are given a DMCA Takedown Notice.  The download links for the server software are removed.
    http://dl.bukkit.org/downloads/craftbukkit/list/dev/
    http://dl.bukkit.org/dmca/notification.txt

I'm angry at Wolvereness.  Yes he is technically correct that code he contributed is being used contrary to the opensource license (see first bullet point) but he knew this all along.  He knew this when he worked on/submitted code to bukkit, how could he not?  Why is he doing this now?  That “oversight” about the licencing has been good for both Mojang and all of us gajillion Minecraft multiplayer owners/players.

My opinion is Mojang and Bukkit should have worked this out a long time ago, but it's a difficult situation to resolve and everything was working great for both parties, so everyone was lazy despite knowing the potential problems.

Mojang's official reply about Wolvereness actions
http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/mojang-and-the-bukkit-project.309715/

Since I am still committed to using a few plugins and don't want to go pure vanilla, what's the future of gnarcraft?  I am very confident something will work out and we are not in danger. Way, way too many (most) servers rely on at least some plugins for it to just disappear.  For now the following seem to be the best options I know of.

• Spigot says they will release a 1.8 copy.  How they can do this I don't understand since they had the DMCA takedown request as well, but they say "after many weeks of advice, legal consultation, and your support, we have resolved to complete this Minecraft update as previously scheduled"
    http://www.spigotmc.org/threads/1-8-progress-check.32792/
  • Another server project called Sponge seems to be very well progressed and is supposed to be able to use bukkit plugins.  Unlike Spigot it is a totally independent project from Bukkit and not affected by the DMCA drama.

TL:DR Bukkit is plagued with legal issues and updates are questionable, but alternatives are on the horizon so even though annoyed I am not afraid for our future.

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • @warsharkz
Re: Bukkit Legal Drama
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 05:18:02 PM »
we could try spigot once they release the update but will there be any differences once we change to a new server type?
I don't know anything about spigot but remember you use it to find what was causing lag awhile ago.

Also I'm against a pure vanilla server too we have had thieves in past and probably will have some in the future.
I can't speak for everyone else but I'm ok with being on 1.7.2 for awhile but still eager for 1.8 :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 01:44:12 AM by Neowarshark »
~Have a nice Morning/Day/Evening/Night from Neo.

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 10:14:22 AM »
Spigot tends to be more resource intensive because it has more stuff built in than regular Bukkit.  We would likely see the server slow down a bit as we are at max capacity most of the time anyway.  We'd just have to test it out to see how bad it is.  Besides that players won't be affected as far as I know.

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • @warsharkz
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 01:05:28 AM »
Your right looks the community will find a alternatives to use since bukkit is a no go now.
I was looking at the sponge page they said they will have a November release if spigot has problems we could try that instead.  :)

Also mojang hasn't said much about what they will do with bukkit but we have options now which is always good.

Offline Taranis

• Bad Builder
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 03:50:32 PM »
Unless Microsoft plans to improve the default server setup, I don't see why they would care about Bukkit. People still have to purchase Minecraft, so M$ get's their money in that case. However if Microsoft does improve the vanilla server, then I could see them shutting down Bukkit. Which I'd be fine with as long as the vanilla version has easy plugin functionality, which I'm guessing it will. =)

Offline empie

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 06:17:57 PM »
Microsoft plans on connecting the different versions of minecraft, connecting the xbox version with the PC version. I suspect that needs some kind of server on the side of microsoft.

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • @warsharkz
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 06:51:45 PM »
Microsoft plans on connecting the different versions of minecraft, connecting the xbox version with the PC version. I suspect that needs some kind of server on the side of microsoft.
I hope not then they might change the pc part to suit xbox. Do we really need to play with people that have the xbox version. How are they even suppose to talk to us they would need a keyboard?
I really think xbox servers should stay separate from pc servers but if they do the change it there should be a way to make this server PC version only. BTW I'm not hating just voicing my opinion. :)

edit. Also It cj decision if she wants to invite people that have the xbox version I just don't think it's a good idea and you haven't given a source of your claim please did they also say that in the video you mention awhile ago?

edit2.
I forgot to ask nicely also i wouldn't be surprise they would want something special for there version of the game(xbox).  ::)

edit3. sorry if i sound like a jerk in this post not sure what was wrong with me earlier today but I'm relaxed now. ^-^
Unless Microsoft plans to improve the default server setup, I don't see why they would care about Bukkit. People still have to purchase Minecraft, so M$ get's their money in that case. However if Microsoft does improve the vanilla server, then I could see them shutting down Bukkit. Which I'd be fine with as long as the vanilla version has easy plugin functionality, which I'm guessing it will. =)
I could see that working but why would they care that a lot of servers depend on plugins beside trying to make everyone happy. :-X
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:52:12 AM by Neowarshark »

Offline empie

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 03:45:39 AM »
In this
(http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-talks-minecraft-buyout-possibility-of-mi/1100-6423159/)
 interview, Phil Spencer talks about the minecraft aquisition. He says:

"I think what we've learned through Xbox Live is something that we can help in unifying a little bit of what happens with Minecraft today," he said. "If I'm on PC I get access to the mod servers; if I'm on console or the mobile editions, I don't. We're looking at how do we bring that whole system together a little more. Because there are other games out there that let me move from screen to screen fairly seamlessly."

Im not even gonna talk about his faulty logic here, but this is what he said.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 04:14:16 AM by empie »

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • @warsharkz
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 08:52:32 AM »
^I don't really see this working out to good.  ???
They will also probably only let the xbox version switch between the pc etc.

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 09:12:57 AM »
As a programmer that has written a lot of back-end systems, integrating ( or using the term "unifying") different Minecraft multiplayer hosts/clients would be a nightmare.  X-box, PC, Playstation, IOS, Android all playing with each other in the same worlds (or even 1 or 2 of them)?  That is way way way a huge amount of work.  I'm not talking "huge amount of work" in a casual way, I'm talking "huge amount of work" that would require probably years of effort.  We won't have to worry about that for a long-long time,

I won't have to make decisions about XBox players joining our server for a long long time.

Phil Spencer is a paid trill hyping the acquisition.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 09:31:11 AM by cjucoder »