Poll

New Map with 1.8?

Yes please, the current one is a mess.
5 (62.5%)
No please, I like this one and I don't mind all the "dead" structures.
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: New map with 1.8  (Read 15716 times)

Offline iRhymeWithRawr

New map with 1.8
« on: January 19, 2015, 10:36:47 AM »
Yes yes here I am again. I know for a fact me, Empie, and Neo are in support of this, so that we can have all the cool new generation and make the map belong to us rather than all the people who built on it now that have quit, and so that we can have a new economy. Anyways, Poll ^

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
Re: New map with 1.8
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 12:30:21 PM »
I voted "no".  I like our current map, I have projects I'm working on I want to finish, and I don't want to start over from scratch again.  There still is plenty of room to do anything anybody could want within the boundaries. Any of the new blocks can be crafted, lots of room to uncover new chunks yet, and we should still get the new water temples.

That being said, I don't want this server to be a dictatorship  :P  If the people want a new map I will acquiesce.  (Wow I spelled that correctly the first time! Must be getting smart in my old age LOL)

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • @warsharkz
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 01:00:02 PM »
Also maybe we should change how we do the new map maybe keep it smaller in size at first and make a rule don't explore only if you need to. That way we can make the new map last longer. The starting size is up to cj but i was thinking 2000 by 2000 if we can get seed with everything in that size. Zipkrowrd has program that can search threw seeds you just enter what you want and the distances i think.

Rawr and me where talking about how we should be more community base in the new map. How it is now people go and do there own thing but maybe should have a more community base server but people should be able to stilll go off and do there own thing.(Rawr can explain more about this topic if he wants to.)
I want to throw in this idea now maybe we could have two teams like red and blue to promote team building and we could have contests or allow free pvp between the two sides.

Also I was talking to steve last night about unspoken rules(guidelines) like the first stronghold goes to the community to use like we did on the current map we're on. Maybe these should be listed somewhere so people will know them but they should be common sense. The not explore till you have to thing should probable be one of the unspoken rules but having it as a official rule wouldn't be bad either. :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 01:04:09 PM by Neowarshark »
~Have a nice Morning/Day/Evening/Night from Neo.

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • @warsharkz
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 01:41:24 PM »
Also 2000 by 2000 might be to small but the smaller we start the more we can expand it in the future for updates. One start point could be 4000 by 4000 and a increase by 2000 by 2000 when something new comes out.

for the seed any program that can get information about a map without you going in yourself will speed up the progress of suitable seeds. Amidst is probably one people use but there is probably browser based one.

Offline steve

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 04:27:04 PM »
I would like to see 1.8 on this map i feel i been prepping for the update from back in November. But i still have plans to do and things to build But if we reset i would do the mini games once more. I will go with what is decided but i like a lest some1,8 on this map but i don't wont people not doing any projects thinking there's no point if we or going to reset.

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • @warsharkz
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 04:36:19 PM »
I can agreed with that^ If we reset maybe we should try updating to 1.8 and trying out the new host we switching to before resetting the map. We are still switching host or we sticking we the current one cj?

Offline empie

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 04:42:56 PM »
I think staying on 1.8 for a bit on the old map before starting a new one is a good compromise.

Offline Taranis

• Bad Builder
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 05:23:51 PM »
I won't vote since I do not play much, but my $0.02 is that while fresh maps are nice, it's not great for a server community. I think as long as the borders can be expanded further (maybe even abandon unneeded / unused portions of the existing map in exchange for new areas do save performance), that will give people room to build new without giving up everything that makes the server the server. =)

But again that's just my opinion as a gracious overlord since I do not actually play.  [ghast]

Offline steve

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 10:31:35 PM »
As for as i seen on resets you get people play for the 1st weeks then it just the core left soon after.
The only argument i could see is to clean the map up but to get to where i am in my plan on this map it will be a year.
But if CJ and the community think its the best way forward to reset i will go along with it but i have fun on what we have.
1.8 was the reason we all held back on exploring and keeping all the unloaded parts on the map.

Offline steve

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 10:40:29 PM »
I won't vote since I do not play much, but my $0.02 is that while fresh maps are nice, it's not great for a server community. I think as long as the borders can be expanded further (maybe even abandon unneeded / unused portions of the existing map in exchange for new areas do save performance), that will give people room to build new without giving up everything that makes the server the server. =)

But again that's just my opinion as a gracious overlord since I do not actually play.  [ghast]
reshaping the map is maybe a way i did not no you could do that,
We do have a good thing may be that's why we still play and a lot of servers have shut down,

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • @warsharkz
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 11:07:07 PM »

You mean to delete the chunks that are not use? also cj said before that she will not expand the map again what black areas we have left are what we got left.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 11:17:39 PM by Neowarshark »

Offline Taranis

• Bad Builder
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 11:05:15 AM »
You mean to delete the chunks that are not use? also cj said before that she will not expand the map again what black areas we have left are what we got left.

I was imagining moving the world boundaries so that "old" portions of the map that are not used simply become inaccessible so they do not get loaded, and then new areas are available. So the overall loadable size of the map stays the same, you just shift it over a bit, giving up some old map for some new map.

That may or may not be feasible, it's just a thought. I know you can change the boundaries easy enough, but finding exactly where to move it would likely be more difficult in identifying what part of the old map we'd want to not have access to. Plus the Nether always makes it more complicated, but CJ is smarter than me so she can figure that out if she wants to I don't doubt. ;)

I think CJs main concern is with performance, as the bigger the map gets, the worse it will perform. With my suggestion of shifting the boundaries over, I think it gives us the best of both worlds, with some new area but the same overall accessible space so performance "should" be the same (I would think).

And again these are just my thoughts/ideas as a member of the community. ;)

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • @warsharkz
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 02:01:08 PM »

I was imagining moving the world boundaries so that "old" portions of the map that are not used simply become inaccessible so they do not get loaded, and then new areas are available. So the overall loadable size of the map stays the same, you just shift it over a bit, giving up some old map for some new map.

That may or may not be feasible, it's just a thought. I know you can change the boundaries easy enough, but finding exactly where to move it would likely be more difficult in identifying what part of the old map we'd want to not have access to. Plus the Nether always makes it more complicated, but CJ is smarter than me so she can figure that out if she wants to I don't doubt. ;)

I think CJs main concern is with performance, as the bigger the map gets, the worse it will perform. With my suggestion of shifting the boundaries over, I think it gives us the best of both worlds, with some new area but the same overall accessible space so performance "should" be the same (I would think).

And again these are just my thoughts/ideas as a member of the community. ;)
would that increase performance shifting the border over? i thought she did it cause map size but i dunno.

Offline empie

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 02:02:05 PM »
I second taranis' idea, I went and checked out on the dynmap if there was any area that wasn't used yet, and area with the x-coords -5000 to -8000 (left most strip of 3000 blocks isn't really used by anyone, on the line of x=-4500 are the last things that are built by people. I double checked it in the nether and this part of the server almost isnt used at all. So I suggest moving the borders 3000 blocks to the east (towards positive x). This way we have a new area to explore near the new town.

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • @warsharkz
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 03:36:10 PM »
even if you move the border over that area will be there just not able to access it. The map will get bigger and it will effect performance and if only you guys think not accessing a area will somehow improve performance.

The way i see it this map is old and bigger then it should of ever been it's about time to move on. I think we should give 1.8 a try with the old map to try out things but then move on to a new map sometime soon or later after that.

if we do make a new map though we should make the border smaller then it is now and tell people not to explore to much. That way the new map will last longer and have black areas for anything new they add over the years.
If by some miracle mojang finds a way to add new stuff in old chunks we will never have to worry about a map reset but minecraft is not a perfect game. :-\

edit. btw even if people explore the new map to much we can expand the map a bit each time a update hits.

I was talking to steve about it he said people should fine a biome they like and terraform the area to there liking instead exploring for good terrain. Also maybe a good map size to start out at is 4000 by 4000 since you can probably get a seed with everything in that area starting out.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 05:14:12 PM by Neowarshark »