Author Topic: Please help me diagnose lag  (Read 14761 times)

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
Please help me diagnose lag
« on: November 30, 2013, 12:54:34 PM »
I've opened a ticket with CubedHost and they have asked me for some information.  Would you guys help me out?

During a time when the server is laggy (lol, don't have to wait too long for that),  please do the following...

1) Open up a command window.  Easiest way to do this is open the start menu and type "cmd" in the search bar on the bottom and hit enter.
2) Type the following in the command window...  tracert [edit - IP removed]
3) When it is finished running please send me the results.  You can click on the upper left icon of the cmd window, select "edit" then "select all".  Go back to that edit menu then "copy".  Paste the results into a new message to me here on the forums.  You can also take a screen shot (or just do a "print screen") making sure everything is showing in the command window and send that to me.  Whatever is easier.

I'd like to get these test results from 3-4 people, so I'd really appreciate if you can do this.  BTW, you don't have to be actually on the server to run the trace route.

Let's see what CubedHost comes up with after that.  We'll figure this out, if I have to move to a new hosting company I will.  I download a copy of the map and all the server config files often, so we won't lose anything if I do end up moving hosts.

Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 10:54:29 AM by cjucoder »

Offline Taranis

• Bad Builder
  • Administrator
Re: Please help me diagnose lag
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 03:17:46 PM »
Okay I'll pull a few throughout the day to see how it goes. Pulled one just now and there was a bit of block lag but it definitely gets worse at night so will be good to see the variation. =)

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • @warsharkz
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 09:15:44 PM »
sent you a pm with it.
~Have a nice Morning/Day/Evening/Night from Neo.

Offline kil79l

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 11:34:15 PM »
sent you a pm cj

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 12:30:24 AM »
Thanks for your help, everyone!   :-*   If one of you European folks could send me one, that would be cool. nevermind, dont think we need more traces.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 02:27:13 AM by cjucoder »

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 11:10:20 AM »
Ticket reply from CubedHost:

It definitely looks like the problem is related to mob spawning. I see this issue most often when there's a large mob grinder or a lot of mob spawners in a world somewhere; it just overloads the server and causes it to spend too much time processing mobs, leading to lag.
I've tweaked some of your settings and switched your server to Spigot, and it appears to have helped a bit. I did notice some lag when I first got on the server, before changing the settings. After changing them and restarting the server, chat was much quicker to respond, as well as fall damage.

Please let us know if the lag continues to be a problem. We will gladly look into other potential issues on your server and help get it resolved right away.

They showed me the data, and almost 63% of the server's ticks were spent handling mob spawning.

Spigot is something I had wanted to try anyway, it is a tweaked version of Bukkit that supposedly is more efficient and has some tools to help diagnose and reduce lag.

Your feedback is important.  How is lag now?  I questioned them further and got the specifics of what settings they changed.  I'm not happy having to reduce mob spawning  >:(  so I may need to tweak the server settings further to get it right for us and/or work further with CubedHost.

Thanks, everyone.

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 11:33:57 AM »
Yeah, the XP farm in the end is barely usable.   :'(  I still want to keep CubedHost's settings for a day or so for testing purposes.

Offline Taranis

• Bad Builder
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 12:01:57 PM »
Those mob farms are super common. Any host that cannot handle it is questionable, as we are doing nothing special as far as I know. Previous versions of our server have had all the same things, and still had no issue. So unless the Minecraft code itself has gotten that much worse, it seems CubedHost may be over sold or have some other issues.

If we want to try something like FragNet which is supposed to be on the higher end but more pricey, I'd be willing to hand over some money to cover some of the cost for a while. So just send me a PM if you end up looking into other options. =)

Offline steve

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 12:11:59 PM »
the lag i had was on the nether mob farm but it was before you asked for info but thanks for the work cj  [steve]

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 01:49:05 PM »
Those mob farms are super common. Any host that cannot handle it is questionable, as we are doing nothing special as far as I know.

Yeah, that was totally my thought as well.  There is no reason that with as few players that we have, as few chunks we have loaded, and as few plugins that we have that we can't run with all the mob spawns we want (well, within reason).  Certainly we should be able to run just fine with default spawn rates.

AND I want to start recruiting as soon as I have 1.7.2 installed so more people would just make it worse.

Thanks for the offer.  I've actually been doing some digging for other hosts over the last week or so.  I'll certainly keep everyone in the loop of what I decide.

I'm also not going to install 1.7.2 and change the boarders until I decide.  If I do have to download the map and upload it to a new host I'd prefer to keep the map as small as possible (slow internet  ::) )
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 01:54:33 PM by cjucoder »

Offline kil79l

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 03:40:28 PM »
thats funny, they came to the conclusion that it was mob spawning at spawn and other mob farms? we already had the mobs spawners before the lag. they might be just trying to cover their assets  [ghast]

Offline Taranis

• Bad Builder
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 04:54:26 PM »
thats funny, they came to the conclusion that it was mob spawning at spawn and other mob farms? we already had the mobs spawners before the lag. they might be just trying to cover their assets  [ghast]

That's about 90% of tech support right there. Find a way to blame the customer so you don't have to actually fix anything. :p

"What?!? You have monsters spawning in your world?!? No WONDER it's lagging! You need at least the $80/month plan to have monseters!" :p

Offline steve

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 06:35:12 PM »
if you do move cj and it costs more than i sure others will help out i will chip in i have not a lot of free money at the min but i can add something a month if needed.  [steve]

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • @warsharkz
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 08:40:58 PM »
we didn't add anything new the only thing i think cause problem is that baby zombie have that spams request server trying to track that villager in the melon farm at me and kil's castle.
~Have a nice Morning/Day/Evening/Night from Neo.

Offline Taranis

• Bad Builder
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 09:06:22 PM »
Played a bit today, and it's still laggy even with their changes. Main lag I see still is with crafting tables; when placing items they do not show up sometimes, and makes it tough to use.