Author Topic: Please help me diagnose lag  (Read 14775 times)

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
Re: Please help me diagnose lag
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 06:18:24 PM »
I put the default monster settings back in place, think I got them all.

I pressed CubedHost further, explaining we don't have any unusual grinders and nothing new was built just before the sever lag started.  After several back and forth messages they continue to insist we have some nasty mob farm causing it.

Mob farms are likely to blame as in my experience, default mob spawning settings won't trigger this sort of lag on its own.
To be clear, there's no CPU throttling or power issue here on our end; your server has ample resources to handle the mobs. The limitation is actually in Minecraft itself, which makes this situation a little difficult to resolve.

---snip---

The reason that I said that default mob spawning settings won't cause it, is because they simply won't cause it on their own - an issue in the world must present itself to cause the problem. I've actually had to assist with this exact same problem with customers who were, like you, using the default settings in CraftBukkit or Spigot. The reason that I know it isn't other customers affecting your server is because I've diagnosed and resolved this issue on dedicated servers, where there's only a single server/customer.

My experience would lend me to believe that there's something else going on in your world. The timing data indicated that a large amount of your server's ticks are spent spawning mobs.
This, from my past experience, has occurred with large or multiple automated mob grinders with mob spawners. The default settings cause the server to spend too much time processing mob spawning and mob ticks, which then leads to lag.

There is one last test I want to try.  Rawr pointed me to a plugin called Opis that can actually map what is hoarding ticks by chunk.  It's not a Bukkit plugin, it's for Forge servers.  I'm going to create a Forge server on my home machine and load our map on that and investigate it with that Opis thingee.

If I can't find anything with that I'll be moving host providers.

Offline Taranis

• Bad Builder
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 08:47:07 PM »
There is one last test I want to try.  Rawr pointed me to a plugin called Opis that can actually map what is hoarding ticks by chunk.  It's not a Bukkit plugin, it's for Forge servers.  I'm going to create a Forge server on my home machine and load our map on that and investigate it with that Opis thingee.

If I can't find anything with that I'll be moving host providers.

Sounds good!

Now we wait to see who the culprit is... ;)

Offline kil79l

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 11:58:58 PM »
i cannot tell a lie, Taranis has a concentration camp of villagers in the nether. thousand upon thousands are sacrificed every day while they keep multiplying because its in their nature. the horror... the horror... the doors.

Offline Taranis

• Bad Builder
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 11:13:19 AM »
i cannot tell a lie, Taranis has a concentration camp of villagers in the nether. thousand upon thousands are sacrificed every day while they keep multiplying because its in their nature. the horror... the horror... the doors.

Yup. I set it up on both a blaze and pig man spawner so that the villagers get constantly burned by the blaze and are then forced to walk around in pig crap! It's gross.

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 06:35:32 PM »
You scary, Taranis  :o  I'm gonna have nightmares about doors now.  Thanks, kil  :P

Been spending a ton of time working on this.  That Opis plugin is cool and kind of fun (Thanks, Rawr!).  I learned that full hoppers are kind of resource hogs; makes sense from a programming perspective but I never thought about that before.  This means I've got a new server rule: No perpetual farms at spawn.  Sorry, Rawr, the silos have to go.  The chicken ones are worse than the iron because they are full, but I don't want to have to keep tabs on the iron farm to make sure it doesn't fill up (as an Admin that is my job).

But that in itself does not explain our lag, it's not enough of a hog in itself.  I haven't found any farms/grinders causing any problems.  I haven't found any other problems at all.  I put the same map under a Spigot server and ran the same test CubedHost did and there was no mob spawn tick hogging at all.  I was using all default server settings, and flew all over the map to activate as many farms as I knew of, including the end and nether.

After looking at many hosting companies, I think I'm going to give FragNet a try, the one Taranis suggested.  It was already on my short list because it is number one on http://www.bestminecrafthosts.com/.  It is only a few dollars more, but it includes a 10 slot Mumble server, so I can dump the Teamspeak server and it will be just about even as far as price.

Several of you have offered to help pay for a new hosting company knowing my situation.  That makes me feel really good because it shows you care about our community and want it to continue.  I never wanted to turn this into a donation based server, and at this point it isn't necessary.  I don't need to eat meat everyday  ;D just kidding.   Still, thank you for the sentiment.  :-*

I plan to set up with FragNet tonight.  It will likely take all night to upload our map to the new server (I have REALLY slow upload  ::) ).  Once I test it I'll PM all forum members the new IP so you can all test it as well.  If that goes well I'll ask Taranis (who owns "gnarcraft.com") to point to the new IP on FragNet instead of the IP on CubedHost.  I'm still paid up for a couple weeks at CubedHost.

Good Lord, I'm tired.  But I love you guys and I don't want to lose you and I want to recruit new folks to a good, stable server.   This is the perfect time to recruit now that 1.7.2 just came out on Bukkit and lots of servers are updating.

TL;DR Trying a new hosting company, FragNet.  Watch your PMs for the new IP.

Offline kil79l

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 08:31:25 PM »
you are awesome cj, i dont know if i ever told you that  [cake]
thank god for that TL;DR  :o

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • @warsharkz
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 09:10:01 PM »
I just kill your good donkey kil but we using the map from yestraday for the new server so its all good.
He got push into the wall near your portal when i was looking at his chest contents.
~Have a nice Morning/Day/Evening/Night from Neo.

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 09:18:13 PM »

Some people want to know all the things, some people are bored by all the things.  I try.  [chicken]

Offline kil79l

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 10:49:11 PM »
I just kill your good donkey kil but we using the map from yestraday for the new server so its all good.
He got push into the wall near your portal when i was looking at his chest contents.
you evil shark, i should of told Quint (Jaws) that i had a shark problem. *snaps fingers*

Some people want to know all the things, some people are bored by all the things.  I try.  [chicken]

i read it :P

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • @warsharkz
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 10:58:08 PM »
I'm not evil just misguided lol that push in wall thing suppose to be fix.

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 12:14:28 AM »
I wonder if Fragnet is getting buried under notoriety bloat; being #1 on that popular site.  I paid them monies about 5 hours ago.  Got immediate email that server is being set up within the hour.  After two hours I heard nothing so opened a ticket.  Still no response.

My head is doing the nodding thing where you're falling asleep and your head drops down and scares the crap out of you.  I wanted to get our map uploaded tonight but apparently that is not going to happen.  When your nodding head scares your own self it's time to let it go  :D

Just letting you know of the delay.  I'm outta here before my nodding head hits the floor and requires an ambulance.

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 10:39:57 AM »
"All Minecraft Server orders this evening have become stuck in a pending state due to a small issue resulting from us migrating our file server to a new hosting node which is still being investigated."  They set it manually for me and gave me 3 free days to compensate for the delay.  whatev.

Uploading our map, config files and plugins now.  Should take about 8 hours.

Offline Taranis

• Bad Builder
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 12:43:10 PM »
"All Minecraft Server orders this evening have become stuck in a pending state due to a small issue resulting from us migrating our file server to a new hosting node which is still being investigated."  They set it manually for me and gave me 3 free days to compensate for the delay.  whatev.

Uploading our map, config files and plugins now.  Should take about 8 hours.

Thanks CJ! You are definitely on top of the whole Admin situation. ;)

I'm sure people can live a bit without the new server, so don't feel like you need to kill yourself to get it up and running! And let me know if you would like any help. =)

Offline kil79l

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2013, 02:19:18 PM »
we can definitely wait. none of us are rushing you  :D

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • @warsharkz
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2013, 03:35:07 PM »
are we there yet  :)