Author Topic: Please help me diagnose lag  (Read 14774 times)

Offline Taranis

• Bad Builder
  • Administrator
Re: Please help me diagnose lag
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2013, 04:02:27 PM »

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2013, 07:35:26 PM »
I think I'm going to cry.  I spent all day uploading everything, setting up the database, trying to figure out the new control panel, only to get major out of memory errors when trying to start the server.  Opened a ticket with them and was told our map is too big and we are using too many plugins to run with 1G of RAM.  Wut?   :o

1G is what we've got on CubedHost, I asked him about it, and was told he couldn't explain it, but different OS or java version on the other server could account for it.  All he could say is I'm for sure using more than 1G of allocated RAM.  And I should upgrade to more RAM.  It's an additional $10 per month.    [pumpkin]

Just for giggles I ran it with no plugins at all and the server could start, but the performance was not all that great.  Still had some lag with opening chests, shooting arrows at a creeper and riding a horse was awful.

Think I'm going to ask for my money back and start from scratch looking for a new hosting company.   :'(  Can't do anymore today. 

Ah the joys of server ownership.  Thanks for all the support, guys.

Offline Taranis

• Bad Builder
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2013, 08:57:22 PM »
That's strange. FragNet is one of the best though, so I'm still willing to give some money for it if you want to try it for a month at least to see if the performance is that much better. Just PM me your PayPal. Lots of hosts out there, but if you look around FragNet tends to be the highest rated for performance, which you pay for I guess. =)

Offline kil79l

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2013, 10:07:58 PM »
sad panda  :(

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2013, 10:08:32 PM »
EDIT-----  We're good for now, no more donations needed

Well, okay, let's try it for a month.  FragNet actually makes it easy for other people to help.  They have a "group pay" option that lets people donate directly toward the server balance via PayPal.

http://clients.fragnet.net/grouppay.php?hash=05e5f-db306-603f5-fe288-ba8d3-d9a17-26  It identifies me by my real name on that page, client Pamela Flegel, so that's how you know it's going to the right place.

Otherwise, my PayPal is the email address associated with these forums (I double checked, only forum members can view that info, so I'm okay saying that here).   You can pick.

Guess I shouldn't be so hard-headed about accepting help  :-\  what we want is a good server.  So, thank you.  [sword]

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 11:29:02 PM by cjucoder »

Offline kil79l

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2013, 10:18:46 PM »
i think i may have donated not sure   :o

Offline Taranis

• Bad Builder
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2013, 11:08:10 PM »

Lol. Nice work, Grandpa! :p "Where do all these internetz pipez go?!?"

That's cool FragNet has an option for people to pay to it directly. I guess that's smart on their part as they know they get the money for sure!

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2013, 11:26:53 PM »
Wow you guys are amazing.  No more donations needed, we're good for awhile.  Thank you so much.  I'll add the additional RAM now and hopefully get the server running in the morning.

Offline kil79l

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2013, 01:11:35 AM »

Lol. Nice work, Grandpa! :p "Where do all these internetz pipez go?!?"

That's cool FragNet has an option for people to pay to it directly. I guess that's smart on their part as they know they get the money for sure!

once the pigeon comes back i can confirm, or when i see the northern torch lite  [pumpkin]

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2013, 01:21:34 PM »
I think everything is set up and working well.  We should be set to go! 

One minor annoyance is the server goes to sleep if no one has logged in after a while.  If you try to login while it's sleeping you get a message something like "server is restarting try again".  You just have to cancel out and try logging in again, give it a few seconds or you just get "end of stream" or other such errors.

I haven't spent a lot of time testing yet today, but I will later on.  So far it feels pretty snappy.  Could ride the carts killing enderman in the XP farm with hardly any lag at all.

PM sent to all of forum members with the IP.

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • @warsharkz
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2013, 02:37:45 PM »
feels like it's running great  ;D
~Have a nice Morning/Day/Evening/Night from Neo.

Offline steve

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2013, 03:18:23 PM »
cool stuff busy yesterday so missed out on the donation push but wound be happy to do so thanks cj  [steve]

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • @warsharkz
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2013, 03:49:41 PM »
yeah we there! now to wait on update gg.
~Have a nice Morning/Day/Evening/Night from Neo.

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2013, 11:17:22 PM »
One minor annoyance is the server goes to sleep if no one has logged in after a while.  If you try to login while it's sleeping you get a message something like "server is restarting try again".  You just have to cancel out and try logging in again, give it a few seconds or you just get "end of stream" or other such errors.

I worked with them to get that sleeping deal turned off.  I hated it.  While in sleep mode I can't access the console so I can't send commands to the server, no one can access the Dynmap URL, and that whole having to retry logging in is just annoying.  Glad they worked with me to turn it off.

So far their service has been really great, they've replied to every ticket/question within hours if not minutes.  Good sign.

Offline Taranis

• Bad Builder
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2013, 11:51:33 AM »
I worked with them to get that sleeping deal turned off.  I hated it.  While in sleep mode I can't access the console so I can't send commands to the server, no one can access the Dynmap URL, and that whole having to retry logging in is just annoying.  Glad they worked with me to turn it off.

So far their service has been really great, they've replied to every ticket/question within hours if not minutes.  Good sign.

CubedHost would have been like, "What, you want to actually use your server? You gotta have like 20GB more ram to be able to login!" :p