Author Topic: Theft  (Read 3424 times)

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
Theft
« on: March 23, 2014, 09:02:08 PM »
I am very sad to say that I had to ban one of our new members for theft.   :'(   I know all servers deal with this, but I want to briefly address the way I want this server to handle these situations.

The atmosphere we have is a small community where we all know and trust each other.  That is what I want to continue even as we welcome new members.  If you are caught stealing or griefing, and even if you are sorry and really mean it, I can't just forgive because having you around afterwards changes that atmosphere.  That is why I will always be very strict with a One-Strike-You-Are-Out policy.

If you notice anything missing from your chests or any changes to your builds let me or kil79l know and we can come check it out.  I will rollback griefing and anything proven stolen from you will be returned (rollbacks will only affect the specific location, not map-wide).  You can PM me here or ask in-game.

Please let me know of any questions.

Offline empie

Re: Theft
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 06:14:47 AM »
It's always sad to have to ban someone, but im happy you noticed it and banned him before he could do some serious damage to the server!

Online Taranis

• Bad Builder
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 11:40:50 AM »
Yeah that's unfortunate.

Is there a process in-place to make sure that new people are reading the few rules we have for the server?

And we might want to update the rule to say something about "borrowing", because I'm guessing to some that may be different than stealing. Meaning taking something with the intent of giving it back later (whether or not that ever actually happens). =)

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 05:02:34 PM »
Yeah that's unfortunate.

Is there a process in-place to make sure that new people are reading the few rules we have for the server?

I usually remember to ask new people to read the signs in the spawn building when they login for the first time when I tell them they have been white-listed.

[Edited to add]  All of my recruiting posts include the rules, so people applying know the kind of server we have.

And we might want to update the rule to say something about "borrowing", because I'm guessing to some that may be different than stealing. Meaning taking something with the intent of giving it back later (whether or not that ever actually happens). =)

It is really hard to make rules to cover every contingency.  I always hope against hope that as adults we have some level of common sense.  I will always try to talk to both parties before banning, as I did here. 

If someone tells me they "borrowed" with the intent of returning it but there was no sign/note I won't believe it.  That would result in a ban.  I'm a hard-ass when it comes to this stuff, and I'm not sorry about it.

About a year ago someone was making trades without permission from the recipient, but always left a sign.  The recipient wasn't happy about the trades.  I simply talked to the person who then returned the items plus extra and it never happened again.  I didn't see a need for a ban in that case.

Also recently someone walked off with the wither skelly sword, but others knew he had it, he had simply forgot to put it back in the chest before leaving and later returned it.  That kind of thing happens.  So I also don't insta-ban at the drop of a hat and want to be reasonable.

What's important to me is for all of us to have a nice, fun, comfortable place to be.  That's my basis for making these decisions.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 01:06:06 AM by cjucoder »

Offline steve

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 05:54:59 PM »
yes that's sad i never thought of hiding  my good stuff its all in chests but its good to no they cant get away with it  [steve]

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • @warsharkz
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 08:20:16 PM »
I keep all my good stuff in ender chest cause of possible theft.
I don't like keeping track of what i have at all times for possible theft.

The only thing i keep track of is stuff in my store so i know if i been paid or not.
It's sad but people caught stealing can't be trusted again and would ruin the atmosphere of the server like cj said.
~Have a nice Morning/Day/Evening/Night from Neo.

Offline iRhymeWithRawr

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 01:32:57 PM »
Oof. That's a first isnt it? A sad day.

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 03:58:21 PM »
Oof. That's a first isnt it? A sad day.
Yes, this is the first time since I've run the server that I've banned someone.  A sad day indeed.

Offline cjucoder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 08:46:41 AM »
I am VERY sorry to say I've had to ban another member for theft.   :'(   I rolled back the chests so the items would be returned.

Please everyone re-read the original post of the thread.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:33:20 AM by cjucoder »

Offline Neowarshark

• rawr!
    • @warsharkz
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 06:28:35 PM »
Dang when will people learn not to take things from other people's chest without permission or without leaving a sign to let them know?  :-\
~Have a nice Morning/Day/Evening/Night from Neo.